It is too important to take care of our garden from pests and diseases to obtain a good development of our crops, there are ecological solutions and techniques that can help us to have a balanced garden by fighting pests and diseases in a natural way. In this article, we will know, How To Prevent Pests In A Vegetable Garden.
How To Prevent Pests In A Vegetable Garden
The care that we have in our garden will be essential to learn to detect the factors that can cause the appearance of pests and diseases. Thus we can take measures before it is too late, this will help us save much more time, effort and above all damage to our crop.
The essential in pest and disease control is prevention. And it is about giving our garden the best conditions to strengthen its defenses and make it much more resistant.
So, What is a plague?
A pest is the massive and uncontrolled appearance of insects or other animals that cause great damage to plants.
Here is a list of things you can do to prevent pests in a vegetable garden.
- Pests: insects, mites, snails, nematodes, mice, birds, cats, thrips, flies, etc.
- Diseases: fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
1. If you already buy the plants, check the entire plant well, make sure they do not carry any type of pest or disease. To do this, check its leaves and stems well. Must avoid any plant that is not normal or that has something strange such as spots, broken stems, etc.
* If you buy seeds to produce your own seedlings, we advise you to buy organic seeds.
2. Choose varieties and species that adapt well to the climate where you are, or to the season you are going to grow.
3. Grow in ideal soil. If you are going to grow in any type of container, we recommend a good mixture of a substrate, between coconut fiber, perlite, and worm humus. Or if you are going to grow in soil. Make sure that the soil has good properties and if not, add matter organic to improve their conditions.
4. Don’t plant or sow too densely. It is necessary to try that the plants have sufficient aeration, thus we will avoid humidity problems that can cause diseases.
5. Select the right place. A place protected against the wind, a sunny place, depending on the needs of each crop and the season, you should protect them from extreme cold or heat.
6. Irrigation. You should not water too much or too little, you have to water what is necessary. For that, observe the soil or substrate very well, so that it is always humid, but always avoiding puddles and dryness.
7. When watering, avoid wetting the leaves, flowers, and stems, as this can cause diseases. The foot of the plant is always watered.
8. Associating plants is a good way for them to benefit each other.
9. One of the best ecological techniques in a garden is crop rotation. Through rotation, it is possible to avoid the persistence or proliferation of many pests and diseases.
10. Eliminate and remove the leaves and stems affected by fungi.
11. Make a small inspection of all the plants in the garden periodically, we recommend that it be weekly. This will prevent many problems from appearing.
N.B: These recommendations clearly do not 100% prevent any attack, so when you find a pest or any disease problem, act quickly. There are ecological products that will help you to keep problems in order.
Organic Products for prevention and control of pests and diseases:
- Neem oil
- Diatomaceous earth
- Agricultural Sulfur
- Home Remedies (potassium soap, garlic extract, chili, onion, sodium bicarbonate among others)
So, remember, better safe than sorry! learn to give your garden the care that is required so that you obtain the best results in your crops. And here is all about How To Prevent Pests In A Vegetable Garden. For more articles like this, you can visit our gardening tips category. stay blessed! Happy gardening.